Thursday, August 30, 2007

Musings.

Whew! Where did the week go? It's already Thursday and I remember that I promised to post pictures. Of course, I've not done that, but will asap!
This past weekend, my mama and a bunch of ladies went to Women of Faith at the American Airlines Center here in Dallas. We had the best time. We laughed, cried, sang, and did all the things that girls do best when you get us together in a space. The theme this year was Amazing Freedom, so all the speakers touched on their own experiences with gaining freedom from certain situations. My favorite is Patsy Clairmont. She is a VERY lively lady who has the energy level of our son. I've decided that when I grow up I want to be like her. She challenged us to "live lively and love lavishly" which is now my new motto. Sandi Patti sang and blew us all away as did Nicole Nordeman. Of course one of the highlights of the weekend was my obtaining her new album, Recollection, which is in constant rotation in my CD player. I won't bore you with my professions of adoration of her music again!
Today, while Caleb was napping, I was catching up on all my recorded shows on our DVR. Last night a show called Crazy Sexy Cancer was on TLC and I have to recommend it. I, obviously, have no personal experience with cancer, but I have known many people, including my paternal grandmother and my good friend Amanda, who have had it. This show followed around a girl who was barely my age who had a rare, incurable form of the disease. She showed great strength, creativity and thought outside the box to find ways to live successfully with her disease. Many of you know that before I started this teaching gig, I worked in the medical field. For many years of my childhood, I wanted to be a cancer researcher and find the cure for the disease. I would tell anyone who asked that that was what I was going to do. I have great admiration for survivors of cancer and can remember vividly hearing about my grandmother being very ill and not being able to see her when I was a small child. Treatments are better now, so hopefully my grandchildren won't have to experience the same.
School, in most of our city, started back on Monday, as did I. I am teaching 4 classes so I'm a little overloaded this semester and will be up to my eyeballs in grading soon, but I will post pictures within the next few days. Hope all of you have a great weekend and happy and restful Labor Day!!!

No comments: