Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Decision

We have agonized over what to do about Caleb's education.
Do we send him to public school?
Do we send him to private school?
Do we homeschool him?
Based on our experiences in school and some of the requirements in our state, we decided very quickly against public school. This is something that we are very passionate about. I do believe we have both said that our children will not attend public school, just to give you an idea.
As I've mentioned before, we did interview for a university model school in our town. If you are not familiar with this type of school, basically the kids would go to school MWF and are homeschooled on TTh. We were really drawn to this type of schooling because it would have given us the best of both worlds, homeschooling and still getting him out of the house for a bit.
Long story short, we left the interview with the private school feeling very negative about the whole experience and were sure that they would not want us there. That was January.
A couple of weeks ago, I received a phone call from the principal at the school saying that she wanted me to take Caleb to the school and leave him for a day. Throughout this time period, Jes and I have been discussing what would be best for Caleb and really came to the firm conclusion that he just was not emotionally ready for a classroom (however, the kid is reading, writing and doing math at a pretty high level), so leaving him in this school for even a day wasn't an option.
I had a very enlightening and honest discussion with the principal in which I told her of my misgivings about the whole idea of sending Caleb there. She was very supportive, listened and even told me that she wished that she had not forced her youngest to go to school when he wasn't ready because it set him up for some really difficult years.
So, the decision is that we are going to homeschool Caleb. I have a real peace knowing that we have made the right decision for our family and for our son.
Now, we just have to find the right curriculum for him, which seems like it will be a much more daunting decision!


Hoppe Family said...

Great decision! If you haven't read it, I'd recommend reading 'Educating the WholeHearted Child' by Clay and Sally Clarkson in your search for the 'right' curriculum.

Wendy Buchanan said...

Bless your heart, Shannon! I have had you in my prayers. I follow your blog and understand making such a hard decision. I am so thankful for keeping Ashlyn at home. I love schooling her here. It has been the best decision for us and I know it was what the Lord wanted for our family. I will continue praying and if you ever need any help or advice, I may can help. There is a Homeschool book fair May 7-8 in Arlington. I went last year and it truly helped me. You can view curriculum and attend workshops. So helpful! I will send you the link.

The Wood Family said...

Shannon, you and Jesse know what's best for him. God equiped you for Caleb to be just what he needs. I know you'll do great with him and homeschooling!