Monday, April 20, 2009

So I Was SO Wrong!

All that talk in the last post about teething and the symptoms thereof was wrong. On Tuesday morning Piper was doing her normal coughing routine to get herself all clear when I noticed that she was coughing a little too much and a little too hard for my tastes. She coughed so hard that she actually turned herself purple and lost her breath, so that was my breaking point. I picked up the phone and called our trusty pulmonologist and they were able to get us in that afternoon for an appointment.
It turns out that our girl had bronchiolitis, an inflammation of the small airways. This is not an uncommon issue for kiddos, especially ours who tend to have respiratory issues anyway, but not something that I wanted to have to deal with last week, especially since she was scheduled for her swallow study later in the week.
Oh, wait, I haven't mentioned her swallow study yet, have I? Hm.
Her test was scheduled for early Thursday afternoon, but the pulmonologist told us to reschedule if the steroids that he gave Piper didn't clear it up significantly by Wednesday night or Thursday morning. So, reschedule we did.
She's having her test this Wednesday at 1pm, if she stays well. I'm not exactly sure what we're hoping for at this point because the doctor told us that if it comes back negative then he will want to scope her airway. I'm not too keen on this step yet, so I'm not sure what to wish for here. I think we just want her to get over this hump and get well for good.
So, that's where I've been.

No comments: