Thursday, October 30, 2008

4 Months

Ok, so does anyone know what is going on with my pictures here??? I can't figure out how to fix them and get rid of that annoying white border thing.
So, anyway to the business at hand. Today my baby Piper is 4 months old. Can you believe it??? I know I can't. We have been blessed beyond belief with this little girl. She so happy and content, but so very fun and lively and we can hardly imagine what our life was like without her. Jes dotes on her like none other and Caleb asks about her before anyone else. Needless to say, the boys in our house are in love with the youngest girl and it makes this mommy pretty happy!



Piper weighs 15 pounds, 7.5 ounces and is about 25 inches long. I'm writing this from memory, so I may be a little off in my numbers. She is sitting up, not on her own, but much better with assistance and still loves her Bumbo seat. Piper rolled over a month ago, the day after her 3 month "birthday", so we can't report that as a recent occurance, but she has really perfected the back to tummy roll lately. She has, also, finally found her feet. The day she discovered that they were there was one of the funniest days for us. She would just stare at them and bend herself in half to get to them to look at them up close, sometimes crossing her eyes just to try to focus on them. When she finally grabbed one while laying on her back, she could not figure out how to let go and got a little frustrated trying to work that one out. I hate to admit it, but I let her work at it and let her get pretty frustrated before I did anything about it, giggling the whole time at her antics.



Piper has discovered her voice this past month too. On any given day you will hear her exercising her voice, making some pretty funny sounds. At times it almost sounds like she's unhappy, but to mama and daddy's trained ears, we know she's just warming up for all the conversation coming our way. This month has also given way to giggles from her for the first time. Piper does not laugh really loud and even when she really get going, it sounds more like a low, belly laugh than anything else. It is really one of the best sounds to hear, if you can.




As you can see, Piper's hair is really starting to come in well. She still doesn't have quite enough for even the smallest bow to be clipped into it, but I predict by Christmas she might have enough. Her hair has started to lighted as well and it looks like it's going to be about the color of her brother's and my (natural) color, a dark, dirty blonde. Her baby acne cleared up really well, but we still have the cradle cap hanging on.


This month, Piper abandoned her pacifier for good. Even at her most upset, she absolutely will not take it. She instead prefers this index finger. Most times when she is happy or busy looking at something, it will be in her mouth. With the way things are going with her, I shouldn't get too attached to her doing this as she is maturing so fast that she'll probably give this up too.



Sometimes that finger just doesn't move quite as far as her head and she ends up looking like this at times. Cute!


Piper is still such an expressive little girl. She loves to smile at the people she knows, but do not be surprised if you approach her and she cries. Our pediatrician seems to think that she may have already developed a touch of stranger anxiety at this young age. He told us he's seen it in babies even younger than her, so we're thinking that's probably what is going on. She's very attached to myself, Jes and Caleb and has been known to be upset when one of us walks out of her field of vision. She follows our every move as we travel about the house, just to make sure she knows where we are.


A few days ago I decided to try to give Piper her first bit of solid food. We were at my parent's house and we were thinking her reflux was making her tummy hurt (turns out she was just hungry), so we made up some cereal and I fed it to her. She still has a little trouble keeping it all in her mouth but she's learning and doing really well so far. I have discovered that she loves oatmeal too. I made some for her, fed her most of it and turned around to get a wet cloth to clean her face with. When I turned back around, she was licking it off her bib! I would say that's a hit! I have also decided to try my hand at making our own baby food too. This weekend, if you need me, I'll be busy roasting vegetables and pureeing fruits in preparation for freezing.
Happy Halloween to all of you! Expect more pictures of the kiddos soon all dressed up!

No comments: