Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Updates: Baby Piper (34 Weeks), Grandparents, and Caleb

Today I went back to the doctor for my 34 week visit. Caleb had to go with me and I was a little concerned about how he was going to act, but silly me, I forgot that my strange little boy LOVES going to the doctor. It doesn't matter that he wasn't being seen, he still kept asking when the doctor was coming. Anyway, I took deep cleansing breaths all morning, had a little decaf Skinny Vanilla Latte from Starbucks and my blood pressure was down! I also lost a little weight (fluid) too, so the doctor was happy with everything. He said he can tell that I've been taking it easy the past 2 weeks and that I just need to continue doing what I have been doing. I go back next week. We are on the downhill slide and he is starting to give me the "if you go into labor or you water breaks call me and get right to the hospital" speech each time.

I talked with my mom this morning and it looks like my grandfather will be released from the hospital today. The theory is that a new medication that he recently started caused his sodium levels to drop, which caused all his symptoms. Needless to say, they are going to switch that medication to something else that will hopefully do the trick. My grandmother is going to released today to, or so we have heard. You know how those transfers from hospitals go sometimes... Anyway, my mom and dad were able to secure her a spot back in the nursing facility that she was in before all this mess started, thanks to the help and persistance of a couple of great doctors, a social worker and a chaplain.

Caleb is doing relatively well too. Yesterday he started complaining of his ears hurting, which we were told would happen around day 5 to 7. Yesterday was day 6, so right on schedule. He is quite moody from time to time and the only thing we can attribute that to is that he is in pain. As soon as he gets some pain medication (we're down to Motrin at this point instead of the narcotic) and it kicks in, he's usually pretty ok. The hardest part is night time. Caleb wakes up 2-4 times per night, not crying but whimpering. It's pretty pitiful, but we really don't know what to do. We try to give him medication when he needs it, but at night he really needs to be knocked out to get enough rest. There's really nothing that will do that. If this keeps up, we'll be calling the doctor to get some suggestions!

No comments: