Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Better Day

Well, yesterday was a disaster. By this time yesterday, we had been through at least 5 pair of underwear, I had cleaned up numerous "accidents" from the carpet, and I was at my wits end, calling Jes in tears. Our only reprieve was the time that I forced him to lay down and take a nap, in a Pull-Up.

Jes had to work late because his boss was out of town and he had to do both jobs, but by the time he got home, I was done and threatening to give up. Both Jes and my mom suggested that I give up on putting Caleb on the big potty (with a seat) and let him use the little one we have.

I have to say that I am not a total germaphobe, but the idea of carrying around someone's excrement, even my own child's, was not a place I was willing to go. However, the idea of my son being in diapers when this baby comes is not something I wanted to do either. I decided to give it a try.

So, this morning we got up, I went directly to our bathroom and grabbed the little potty and set it up in the living room (on a towel that is on a trash bag, by the way) and set Caleb on it. He sat there for about an hour watching Dora, just hanging out. I was sure that he hadn't done anything, but he jumped up after a little while and started pointing at the potty. I looked in and he had used it!

The long and short of it is that this morning we have not had a single accident, he has taken himself to the potty (even number 2), and is doing so much better than yesterday. It still grosses me out to carry his "product" from one room to another, and I had to call my mom to find out what to do when he pooped, but it's still better than cleaning the carpet every 10 minutes! Let's hope this holds out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

eww- no fun. :( - glad he is improving though.

I put the pic of the 3 of them on the blog.

-m.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear of some success. I feel for ya though.